Safety is a top priority at your cooperative and we offer the following electrical safety tips:
- If your vehicle comes into contact with a power line, stay in the vehicle. Have someone outside the vehicle contact the power company to have the line de-energized. If you must leave the vehicle due to a fire, jump clear of the vehicle without coming into contact with the ground and vehicle at the same time.
- Never use electrical appliances in or around water.
- Replace frayed cords or extension cords, as they are a potential point of electrocution.
- Never climb on or near power poles or transmission lines. Never let anyone shoot or throw stones at insulators.
- Keep clear of pad-mounted transformers. Never dig around the transformer. If a lock is missing from the transformer, contact the electric utility.
- If you see a tree in contact with a power line, do not remove the tree. Contact the power company and they will remove the hazard.
Gopher State One Call
Minnesota state law requires that anyone planning to dig, give notice of their intentions at least 48 hours prior to digging so that underground utilities can be located. This free service can be utilized by calling 800-252-1166 and is required so that underground utilities are not severed or damaged.