2012 General Scholarships
Beltrami Electric Cooperative awards scholarships annually to students attending the seven area high schools within BEC's service territory and to St. Mary's Mission in Red Lake. The scholarships vary in size each year and are awarded from unclaimed capital credits allocated to members.
To be eligible, students' parents or guardian must be a member of Beltrami Electric Cooperative, the student must attend a high school within BEC's service area, and a senior in high school. The students must send proof of enrollment in a post secondary education institution the following year and completion of one semester to the high school where the scholarship was awarded.
This year the Beltrami Electric Board of Directors approved $1000 to each institution awarding one $1000 or two $500 to selected recipients at the schools discretion. Ask your school's guidance counselor or scholarship coordinator what is required at your school.
*Applications for these scholarships are handled through the guidance office at participating high schools. Please contact your school's guidance counselor for more information.
Russel and Rusty DeVries Memorial Lineworker Scholarship
Former Beltrami Electric Cooperative employee Russel DeVries and his son, Rusty, loved the job that they did as lineworkers. Russel worked at Beltrami Electric for 42 years as a line foreman and Rusty graduated from Northwest Technical College, Wadena in 1984. To honor their memories and their efforts in the cooperative industry, their family is offering this line worker scholarship to encourage men and women in the local area to pursue an electric lineworker career. Upon qualifications, one scholarship will be awarded annually in the amount of $500. Applicants parents or guardian must be a member of Beltrami Electric Cooperative.
- The parents or guardians of the recipient must be Beltrami Electric members.
- The student must currently be enrolled in high school.
- The student must attend one of three accredited lineworker schools. The qualifying schools are: Northwest Technical College, Wadena, MN, Dakota County Technical College, Rosemount, MN, Minnesota West Community & Technical College, Jackson, MN
- Recipients must submit a wallet-size photo of themselves to Beltrami Electric for publication purposes.
- When the scholarship is awarded, term limit is 1 year. If the scholarship is not used then it is awarded to another person.
- The scholarship is not paid out until the recipient has completed the first quarter or term of the school year. The recipient must file a request for the payout. The request must include: receipt for the tuition, a progress report for the program attended and the recipient must have satisfactory progress toward completion of the program (at least a 2.0 GPA).