Need help paying your electric bill?

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay for home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified households. Apply directly with the EAP provider for your county or tribe.

MN Commerce Department Logo  



The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay for home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified households.

Apply directly with the EAP provider serving your county or tribe.

  1. Find Your EAP Provider
  2. Contact your EAP provider and have them send you an application. 
  3. Mail your completed application to your EAP provider.
  4. For help finding your local EAP provider, call 1-800-657-3710.

EAP is federally funded through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Grants are:

  • For renters or homeowners
  • For households with income at or below 50 percent of the state median income
  • Based on energy cost, household size, and income

Services may include:

  • Payment of energy bills
  • Help with utility disconnections or fuel deliveries.
  • Education on efficient and safe use of energy.
  • Advocacy with energy suppliers and human service providers.
  • Repair or replacement of homeowners' broken heating systems.


Click here to view the income eligibility guidelines




6603 Bemidji Ave N.

Bemidji, MN 56601

(218) 751-4631


8245 Industrial Park Rd NW

Walker, MN 56484

(218) 547-3438


201 NW 4th St., Suite 130

Grand Rapids, MN 55744

(218) 999-0824

Leech Lake

115 6th Street NW, Cass Lake MN 56633

(218) 335-3783



120 North Central Ave

Park Rapids, MN 56470

(218) 732-7204

Red Lake

15809 High School Dr.

Red Lake, MN 56671

(218) 679-3350

Beltrami County Health & Human ServicesBeltrami County Health & Human Services graphic logo

616 America Ave NW, Suite #270

Bemidji, MN 56601

(218) 333-8300


Our department, in collaboration with other community partners, is dedicated to providing a broad array of benefits and services to individuals, families and communities. We work cooperatively to empower and support Beltrami County Citizens to ensure they enjoy healthy, safe, and self-sufficient lives.

Cass County Human Services

Mailing Address:  PO Box 519, Walker, MN 56484

Physical Address: 400 Michigan Ave, Walker, MN 56484

(218) 547-1340


Persons can apply in-person at either of our Human Services locations  Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Hubbard County Human Services

301 Court Ave

Park Rapids, MN 56470

(218) 732-1452


The purpose of Hubbard County Social Services is to plan and administer an array of programs and services that are intended to protect and support families and individuals.

The Income Maintenance unit assists eligible persons with cash, medical and food assistance while the Social Service unit provides child and adult protective services and assists vulnerable and disabled persons achieve independence.

Community Resource Connections

716 Paul Bunyan Dr NW

Bemidji, MN 56601

(218) 333-0880

Community Resource Connections (CRC) serves the four county area of Beltrami, Cass, Clearwater and Hubbard Counties, serving as a referral source so that community service agencies effectively reach their intended clients. Membership benefits include facilitation of networking events, group marketing, consulting and involvement in an active list serve style communication system.

414 Lincoln Ave Se
Bemidji, mN 56601
(218) 444-1380

A non-profit organization of the Bemidji area working together to meet the emergency needs of homeliness and low-income individuals.

610 Patriot Drive NW
Bemidji, MN 56601
(218) 751-8223

Evergreen Youth & Family Services is a private, non-profit youth and family service provider. Evergreen offers services to youth and families in the greater Bemidji area. Services may include emergency food and shelter, transitional housing, community suicide prevention and more.

The Minnesota Cold Weather Rule (CWR) is effective October 1 through April 30.  The cooperative will follow the Cold Weather Rule guidelines prior to disconnecting a service for nonpayment. 

A household may receive Cold Weather Rule protection if a proposed disconnect would affect the main heating source of the home, the household income is at or below 50% of the state median income, and the member agrees on a payment plan with the cooperative.

Beltrami Electric would rather work with members on an agreed upon payment plan than disconnect an electric service.

Section 325E.028 of the Minnesota statues pertaining to utility payment agreements for military service personnel outlines their rights and responsibilities effective August 1, 2007.  A municipal utility, cooperative electric association, or public utility must not disconnect the utility service of a residential customer if a member of the household has been issued into active duty, for deployment, or for a permanent change in duty station during period of active duty, deployment, or change in duty station if residential customer meets criteria set forth in this statute.

If, prior to disconnection, a member appeals a notice of involuntary disconnection, as provided by the utility's established appeal procedure, the utility must not disconnect until the appeal is resolved.

If a member chooses to appeal, they must submit a personal letter of appeal stating their situation and issues in the dispute.  The letter of appeal must arrive at the Cooperative before the date of the proposed disconnection. The appeal will be reviewed by the Cooperative to determine a fair and reasonable resolution to the dispute. The resolution will be presented to the member and agreed upon by both the member and the Cooperative in order to resolve the appeal. No disconnection of service will take place during the appeal process.

STEP 1. Find your Energy Assistance Provider in the list to the left (for help call 1-800-657-3710)

STEP 2. Apply Online
Contact your local Energy Assistance Provider and request an application
Request an application online here:

STEP 3. Return your completed application to your local Energy Assistance Provider.

STEP 4. Your Energy Assistance Provider will take care of the rest.

These are the income guidelines for the FFY24 program year, which is October 1, 2023 through September 30, 2024. The maximum income guidelines are based on 50% of the State Median Income for household sizes 1-16 and on 110% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for household sizes 17-20.

Household Size Annual Income 1 Month Max
1 $32,667 $2,722
2 $42,719 $3,559
3 $52,770 $4,397
4 $62,822 $5,235
5 $72,874 $6,072
6 $82,925 $6,910
7 $84,810 $7,067
8 $86,695 $7,224
9 $88,579 $7,381
10 $90,464 $7,538
  1. It’s free!

  2. The average grant is over $500

  3. Local Energy Assistance Providers can help with your application!

  4. Grants are based on household size, income, and utility costs

  5. Up to $2,000 per household – for heat and electric bills

  6. May also pay off your entire past due water/wastewater bill!

  7. It works if you use electricity, natural gas, propane, heating oil or biofuel. 

  8. Grants are paid directly to your account at your energy company – we do it for you!

  9. The program is open to people who rent OR own their homes

  10. We can also arrange emergency fuel delivery, and repair or replace homeowners’ broken heating systems.